National Curry Week
This week is national curry week!
A good curry could be the most nutritious meal you have all week.
In that occasion one of our Nutritional Therapists has come up with a suggestion on how to enjoy a delicious and healthy curry meal!
This recipe is packed full of super healthy spices which have anti-inflammatory, antiviral and even anti-cancer properties. Along with a good helping of vegetables to provide much needed phytochemicals, vitamins and minerals:
- Heat 1 red onion in a large pan or wok with a table spoon of coconut oil
- Meanwhile put 2 cups of red lentils on to boil (approx. 10 minutes)
- Add in 3x teaspoons of turmeric powder and 3-4 teaspoons of curry powder (turmeric has the most amazing health benefits including anti-inflammatory and even anti-cancer)
- Add a pinch of black pepper (this helps the body to absorb and benefit from the turmeric)
- Add to the onion 3 cloves of garlic crushed (garlic is a fantastic for fighting off viruses such as colds/flu) and 2-3cms of ginger grated (also great for anti-inflammatory)
- Put in as much vegetables as you like! I try and have as many different colours as possible to get a range of nutrients such as orange butternut squash (which I pre-roast), red pepper, green kale, purple aubergine etc…
- Mix in a tin of coconut milk (or cream for a thicker curry) and the cooked lentils
- Heat until the vegetables are cooked through.
This recipe also works well with the addition of white fish such as cod which I pre-cook and add at the end.